Mac!

Mac!

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Why I Do What I Do

When I get discouraged or want to quit (Yeah, me....) I just need to look at why I do this line of work. It was not for the money. I made much better money in my last job that I worked at for 30 yrs (yes, I'm that old). But I wanted to show folks a better way. That they didn't have to hurt their dogs for their dogs to learn. Dogs are really quite easy to teach. Humans, not so much.

There are so many (so called) dog trainers out there now. The internet is crawling with them. Their language is elusive, lots of word that don't really say anything. My website has my picture and my dogs pictures on it. I introduce myself and what I'm about. Your friendly shock collar trainer lots of times does not even give their name or pic. I'm proud of what I've built in 14 yrs. And I won't hurt your dog. Ever.

So why are folks flocking to these shock collar trainers? Two words. Quick. Fix. But quick fixes don't last and sometimes(or most times) back fire. Badly. Just saw a former student of mine today walking her tiny dog.
Wearing a shock collar. Five pounds at most. Sweet dog but the owner wanted the barking to stop. Now. Right now. So sweet dog gets shocked if she tries to communicate. Ugh.

All this to say that sometimes it's discouraging. Slick Big Box trainers with big budgets and shock collars are winning the war. But at least I can sleep at night.



1 comment:

  1. I find it especially heartbreaking to see small dogs wearing shock collars.

    ReplyDelete